Hotel near Château de la Teyssonnière
When you come to the Auberge Bressane of Buellas, take some times to visit Buellas, a small village in the department of Ain located only 5 minutes from Bourg-en-Bresse.
We suggest you to visit :
- Saint Martin church, classified as a historical monument, this small church is the witness of the romanesque art of the end of the 11tn century and reveals many sculptures.
- The Poype des Fées : this historical re-enactment of the « poype » can be seen at the height of Vieux Jonc bridge. A « poype » is a kind of castle mound, a small fortified tower at the top of a knoll which, in the Middle Ages, was also a refuge for the lord in case of an attack. According to legend the « poype » of Buellas served as a house for the fairies in the area.
- Teppe's fish farming : 3 hectares, with 6000 m² of ponds, a hatchery and a processing laboratory. Trouts are bred for restocking, but also for the marketing of many processed products.
A small stream of spring water called Être welcomes you to fish from Monday to Saturday except bank holidays from July 1 to September 2 from 8 am to 12 pm and from 1:30 pm to 5:30 pm. More information on the official website.
Bourg-en-Bresse is only a few minutes far from Buellas, it's an opportunity to discover the rich heritage in the town :
- The historic district : you can walk through the typical lanes of the medieval center of the town. Between the half timbered houses and the private hotels, let the atmosphere of Buellas inspire you.At the same time, take a walk through the market, it's an opportunity to discover the products dear to the people of the district : Bresse poultry, cheese, dairy...
- Our Lady of the Annunciation cathedral
- The Royal Monastery of Brou : the monastery and its church have been designated as « French people's favourite monument » in 2014. It's your turn to discover this jewel of flamboyant Gothic art.
- The apothecary of Hotel Dieu : copper stills, earthenware pots, mortars, ancient works...through various rooms, including a genuine laboratory, this « chemistry » of the end of the 18th century invites you to discover an amazing place which will reveal to you the secrets of the chemistry of the past centuries.
- The Museum of Data Processing : over 300 years of history, you can discover an amazing collection of typewrites, calculating and accounting machines.
- The municipal Museum of Bourg-en-Bresse: is in one of the cloister of the royal monastery of Brou. This museum displays an important collection, including Flemish and French paintings.
Between Bresse, Mâconnais and Saône-et-Loire
Not far from the Auberge Bressane de Buellas, you can discover some emblematic tourist sites of the area :
- The castles : the Castle of Fleyriat (9kms) in Viriat, the Castle of Loriol (13kms) in Confrançon...
- Departmental Museum of Bress – Domaine des Planons (16kms) : in the Bresse typical countryside, in Saint Cyr sur Menthon, this museum relates the life and the history of the area from the 15th century to present day. The site is divided in 3 areas : the museum (temporary exhibitions and collections of traditional clothing, headresses ,enamels and furniture...), the farm (reconstruction of farm family life in the 18th century) and the more than 20 hectares estate (games, picnic areas, vegetable gardens, the keeping of poultry in the open air...)
- Châtillon-sur-Chalaronne (21kms) : visit this medieval city listed among « the most beautiful corners of France ». In the heart of the Dombes, the town offers a rich heritage. Visit the museums such as the Museum of Traditions, the cultural center and its apothecary or the museum of miniature trains... Don't miss the Arboretum and the market on Saturdays morning.
- Farm Museum of the Forest (38kms) : in Courtes, visit a genuine half timbered house of Bresse with a saracen fireplace dated end of the 16th century .
- The Wine Hamlet (38kms) : go to Romanèche – Thorins to learn all about Burgundy and Beaujolais wines. This single and special European park of vines and wines is not limited to a specific public.
- The Solutre Rock (40kms) : near Mâcon, on the wine-growing commune of Solutré-Pouilly, discover this symbolic site of Saône and Loire. At the foot of the rock, visit the departmental Prehistoric Museum.
- Pérouges (44kms) : medieval city listed among the « Loveliest Villages in France », Pérouges will charm you by its atmosphere. Perched on the Dombes plateau, the village overlooks the Ain Valley, the Bugey and the Alps.
- Trévoux (50kms) : « Art and History country » offers a special heritage. Beside the Saône or at the heart of its traditionnal « traboules », let yourself be tempted to a stroll in this historic town.
- The Abbey of Cluny (53kms) : take advantage of your stay to discover the Benedictine Abbey of Burgendy.
Sports and leisures
- The maize fields of Saint-André-sur-Vieux-Jonc (7 kms) : gets lost in this vegetable maze.
- Golf : the followers of swing or small white balls can try the golf courses of the area. Take out your golf clubs and try your luck on Bresse's golf course in Condeissiat (12 kms / 13 min ; 6,009 metre 18-hole par72 ) or in Bourg-en-Bresse golf course (12 kms / 22 min ; 2,854 metre 9-hole par 35) or the Commandery's golf course in Crottet (22kms ; 5,996 metre 18-hole par 72) or the Sorelle's golf course in Villette-sur-Ain (34km ; 5,777 metre 18-hole par 72) and the Golf du Clou in Villars-les-Dombes (36 kms ; 5,000 metre 18-hole par 67).
- The Plaine Tonique leisure park in Montrevel-en-Bresse (23km) : in the programm, sport and nautic activities, an aquatic center with swimming pools, giant water-slides...the whole in a natural private environment.
- The Birds Park (34 km) in Villars les Dombes, this great animal park has the most important collection of birds in France. Discover about 3,000 birds from all over tne continents : calaos, parrots, toucans, pelicans...And don't miss the show of the flying birds.
- Touroparc Zoo (36km) in Romanèche Thorins, between Mâcon and Lyon, you will meet close to 700 animals in a 70 hectares natural environment : giraffes, elephants, The wild life as you have never seen before !